Sunday, January 12, 2014

Reflection on #NoBuyJanuary



Nearly at the half way point of #NoBuyJanuary and I've been reflecting on why it's been important to me personally to participate in a month long spending fast on beauty and personal care products.  For me I have more than enough stockpiled away in my bathroom.  It's not like I'm walking around deprived of cosmetics, nail polish, or bath and beauty products.  Quite the contrary.

Since transitioning into green beauty products I've read, consumed, and researched blogs, companies, and products like a person who had a hunger but didn't know they were hungry, but at some point the gluttony has to slow and sometimes even stop.  Taking a moment to reflect and pause can be a good thing.  It's helps me evaluate what I have and enjoy it.  I'm only one person and at some point you realize how many items can one person reasonably use before they go bad?

Since the main focus is green/natural/organic beauty let me address expiration dates.  Products will expire especially if we buy so much that we cannot use them up in a timely fashion.  If I have too many cream foundations and they go bad and I have to throw them away how is that helpful?  Not only have I wasted my money, but I've added product to the landfill.  As a "green beauty" blogger I find that a tad ironic especially if that is only due to my excessive consumerism.  Now, if I purchase an item and have an allergic reaction to it or it just does not work for me then I'm not going to use it.  For sanitary reasons I typically do not "swap" cosmetics.  But if products are expiring just because I cannot use them in time, then I only have myself to blame.

Collecting makeup is not something I aspire to do.  If that's something that you hope to find here then you've got the wrong blog.  I want to find makeup that works for me and that I enjoy using.  If I actually find my way to the bottom of a lipstick tube then I fell like that event should deserve a party.  Using up a product makes me happy especially if I enjoyed it along the way.  Repurchasing a product after I used it up is a sure sign that it is worth it in my opinion.

Eventually in the next few years, I'd like to get my core skincare down to a few much loved products that work for me.  This is why I'm a "transitional" stage at the moment.  I understand that as I age and my environment continues to change that small adaptations will need to be made but for the most part I believe the core items hopefully will be the same.  I'd like reduce what I believe to be the ridiculous amount of items that are in my beauty cabinet.

Now, don't get me wrong I'm not going all minimalist on you.  What I'm trying to do is not get wrapped up in the hype of glorified consumerism and enjoy what I have.  Use what I've got.  Research and make a well informed purchase when I do.  Will there be a frivolous purchase along the way? Of course.  I am human and a nail polish lover after all.  But I don't want to fall into the trap of buying just for the sake of it and then ending up with way too much stuff and debt along the way.

 Reference articles:
http://checkcosmetic.net/cosmetic-and-perfume-shelf-life-faq/

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I feel wasteful that I have a lot more than I really need. I think my next mission is to go through things and use up those already open or that i have had the longest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Paula :-) I know what you mean, I chucked out two facial products yesterday (scrub + mask) as they had long expired - probably won't be on the blog as I never thought to take a photo! Barely used either of them, so that's wasteful, and I think this experience is great for teaching us about these things. I guess we all need a moment to stop + contemplate, and like you say, that is helpful. I feel the same about makeup + don't have much of a collection. Right now it's about finding those holy grail products that work. No doubt I'll have the odd frivolous purchase too, as like you say, we're all human ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo true on the expiration date thing. I have so many products that it's hard to use them all up before they expire- especially the makeup since I don't often wear makeup (or too much of it). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I went through my stash and found some items that were near the expiration date and I am happy to nearly have used them all up, there is till a bit more I need to use but on the whole this month has been great for reflecting and appreciating what I have Xx

    ReplyDelete