January 9, 2014

My Nail Polish Rack - Beauty Stash #NoBuyJanuary (not just nail polish)

All of the nail polishes were purchased by me.
*Some samples shown in the photos were PR samples
*A few of the Aura Cacia essential oils shown in the photos were PR samples


Sometimes seen in the background of my YouTube videos... my nail polish rack has never been fully "exposed" online before.  Granted, it's not as full as it used to be.  I edited it down over the past 6 months.  Last October I was able to donate a lot of my less loved nail polishes to a local nail salon in town.  For every new or used polish they received, $1 was going to be donated to the American Cancer Society.  I must have unloaded at least 20+ bottles!

Now, if I grab a bottle of nail polish and it no longer preforms to my liking I'll either pass it along or save it for the annual Zoya trade in promotion (around Earth Day).


Yes, I realize that not all of these brands of nail polish are 3-free, but as most of you know I have yet to hit the year mark in my transition to green beauty.  

From Right-to-Left (brands)

1st row:

China Glaze is DBP free but some nail polish bloggers seem to note that they made the switch to 3-free after customer pressure.  The ingredient list is on my sole bottle, but I can not read it.  I'd need a way to magnify it to read it.  No good information is on the China Glaze web site and it seems most retailers ingredients list are out-of-date.  I sent China Glaze a question on Twitter and will update if I get a response.

L'Oreal.  I can't even find out if they are free of any toxins or not.  Either way the 2 polishes I own are nothing to write home about.  A brand I won't use on my daughter nor repurchase.

Essie.  I own one bottle of Essie nail polish.  Let's just say the brand and my type of nail beds just don't get along.  DBP, Toluene and Formaldehyde free. (Big 3 free)

Revlon is a brand I'd like to be done with, but until I have an opportunity to either trade them in or donate them, I will continue to use them.  Toxic? I don't know.  I can not seem to find good information out there.  I personally won't use them on my daughter.  

2nd row: (the toxic-free row)

SpaRitual nail lacquers are vegan and formulated without DBP, toulene, formaldehyde and formaldehyde resin (Big 4 free).  I have three full size polishes and one mini.  I'm just getting my "nails wet" with this brand. 

Zoya is my go-to brand (especially when I'm painting my daughter's nails) and is formulated without toluene, camphor, formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin and DBP (Big 5 free).  I have 11 of their nail polishes and some she picked out for herself.  Can you guess which Zoya shades she picked out (she's in 1st grade)?

LVX is the lone bottle on the end, but it is not to be overlooked.  I received this in a monthly subscription box and I believe this will be a brand I will repurchase from in the future. The color is amazing and the wear time for my nails is awesome!  LVX is formulated without Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde Resin, DBP, Toluene, and Camphor (Big 5 free) also vegan.



3rd & 4th rows: (Big 3 free)

OPI. I own 18 full size color nail polishes from OPI. One clear bottle is a top coat and the other is their chip skip.  I'm not sure that either of the clear bottles are working for me anymore.  As you can tell for a while I only thought OPI existed.  Now I realize their is a bigger world out there.  OPI's website "Since 2006, OPI has reformulated its entire line of Nail Lacquers, Nail Treatments, and Nail Hardeners to eliminate DBP (dibutyl phthalate) and Toluene.  Formaldehyde has never been an ingredient in OPI Nail Lacquers or Nail Treatments." (does not apply to all nail hardeners).  See section OPI cares for more information. (Big 3 free)


No more nail polish!

Various samples on 5th row.  I typically put products I'm testing out or want easy access to here.

6th row essential oils.  Yes, I know they are supposed to be kept in a dark place, but my bathroom is not in sunlight and the light is only on when I'm in there.  I don't live in my bathroom (thankfully).  Eventually I'd like to get a bamboo or wooden storage box/case for them.  If you know of a good place to find one of those let me know!  Brands: Now Solutions, dōTERRA, and Aura Cacia.

If you'd like me to do a different post on just the essential oils, let me know!




The nail polish rack can be purchased at Amazon: >here<

So, do I have a nail polish problem?  Do you as well?  As soon as No Buy January is over I'm going to buy a new base & top coat as I tossed out my old base coat (wasn't working at all) and the OPI top coat just does not seem to be doing much for me anymore.  Have any 3 free or 5 free recommendations?









16 comments:

  1. Thanks for introducing me to Zoya! My all time favorite (and most used) color is Kamilah by Zoya. It's a beautiful red and looks good on pale skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very pretty. The closest I have to that is Sarah. I've been trying to be good, but they (Zoya) is having one heck of a promo right now. (Covers her eyes)

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah, I'm getting my 3 free. I think shipping shouldn't count as a purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoya is my go-to brand as well, they have such a lovely selection of shades :) Trying to save up for some Butter London ones though! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great collection! Zoya is my go-to brand as well, although I don't have any nail polish at the moment lol. Deprived! Funnily enough I was reading this post from The Goddess Huntress last night - here's the link if you fancy a snoop x

    http://www.goddesshuntress.com/2012/03/30/the-list-3-free-and-5-free-nail-polishes/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! Looks like my bottle of China Glaze is 3-free according to her info.

      Delete
  5. Nice! Nail polish is one thing that I don't have a lot of...I got rid of old, dried up ones and I've got somewhere around a dozen polishes total now. I only have a couple, but I like Mineral Fusion's polishes a lot :) My understanding is that China Glaze is similar to OPI - older polishes are not 3-free, but newer ones are...not sure where the exact cut off is though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some say the China Glaze bottles with the black logo are 3-free. That's the kind I have. I hope they still respond to my Twitter question. Maybe I'll email the company.

      Delete
  6. Painting my own nails is so therapeutic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even bring my own polish when I get my nails done at a nail salon :)

      Delete
  7. I really like Zoya. The first red shade is just the kind of colour I go for. Nail polish always ships really quickly on me though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 1st red shade from Zoya is called Sarah.

      Delete
  8. Zoya do an annual trade-in? Great idea - wonder if they do that over here/let me trade-in via airmail? Also, your daughter has great taste in nail polish colours - I pick the exact same colours :)
    Leanne x

    ReplyDelete